Hydration is the Key to Beautiful Skin
The harsh, dry effects of winter are showing up on our faces! Between the cold winter air outside and the overly heated interiors, your skin can look dull and dehydrated (wrinkles!). So here are FIVE tips on how to retain moisture in your skin:
- Make sure you are using skin care products that contain a humectant. “What’s a Humectant?” These are ingredients that draw moisture into your skin. The most effective one on the market right now is Hyalauronic Acid. It is one of NINE active ingredients in Genie Dream Cream and it is also in Genie H’eye’drator Eye Cream. Genie Dream Cream has been clinically tested by an independent third-party lab and the results show an increase in the moisture in your skin by over 400% in just 15 minutes! And this moisturization effect lasts for 72 hours.
- ”Layer” your hydration. What does this mean? First make sure your skin is a little moist like when you step out of the shower. Don’t dry yourself off to be “bone dry”. When there is still some moisture on your skin go ahead and put a layer of something thinner (like body oil—I like Neutrogena) on your skin and then layer a heavier moisturizer on top of this. You can do something similar with your face—I spray with Evian facial mist and then a heavy duty moisturizer (like Genie Dream Cream). It takes about three extra minutes in the morning, but I promise no more itchy dry skin. I just came back from a trip that included a day in Amsterdam (at 15 degree!) and my skin would have gone berserk if I hadn’t “layered” my moisture.
- Drink more WATER! I know you’ve heard this one before but it comes into play particularly in the winter. Keep your body hydrated and it will show up in your skin as well. If you want to be an A+ hydration student, drink half your body weight in ounces, for example if you weigh 150 lbs then drink 75 ounces of water a day. Also try a smoothie in the morning that contains protein, fat (healthy of course and fiber! This is the one I love! Your body will love it and your will see a beautiful difference in your skin!
- Add more Omega 3 fatty acids to your diet. Omega 3s in particular allow your skin to retain moisture. This can mean eating more salmon/anchovies (flaxseed oil and chia seeds are super packed with omega 3s as well) or taking a supplement. According to UK Facialist Sarah Chapman, “Most dehydrated skins have a compromised barrier function and lack omega oils. Without these lipids, your skin cannot hold onto moisture, no matter how much water you drink.” This is one I love: http://udoschoice.com/product/omega-3-oil-health-supplement/
- Use a humidifier: I recently started sleeping with a cool mist humidifier and I’m telling you — what a DIFFERENCE it has made in my skin and in my sinuses. No more dry flakey skin; no more dried out sinuses; and no more waking up thirsty when the heater is running. It’s really amazing. This one is similar to the one I use is the Air Innovations Ultrasonic Digital Humidifier at QVC. (It’s worth every penny!) The best part about this model is it has a permanent ceramic filter that keeps bacteria from growing in it so no more constantly cleaning gunk out the humidifier.
Here are some more tips on how to have a Flawless Fall! https://www.geniebeauty.com/cold-wet-snow-dry-itchy-skin/
Share on Social