How to Prepare your Skin for Fall
The leaves are changing colors and the air is becoming dry and crisp. Your summer wardrobe is out as you welcome cozy fall outfits in. Don’t wait until the dead of winter to make adjustments your skincare routine as well! For glowing, gorgeous skin year-round, it’s best to gradually make changes as seasons transition and temperatures begin to cool. Here are FIVE tips on how to retain moisture in your skin as you prepare for the full force of fall:
- Make sure you are using skin care products that contain a humectant. “What’s a Humectant?” These are ingredients that draw moisture into your skin. The most effective one on the market right now is Hyaluronic Acid. It is one of NINEactive ingredients in Genie Dream Cream and it is also in Genie H’eye’drator Eye Cream. Genie Dream Cream has been clinically tested by an independent third-party lab and the results show an increase in the moisture in your skin by over 400% in just 15 minutes! Plus, this moisturization effect lasts for 72 hours.
- ”Layer” your hydration. What does this mean? First, make sure your skin is a little moist, like when you step out of the shower. Don’t dry yourself off to be “bone dry.” When there is still some moisture on your skin go ahead and put a layer of something thinner (like body oil—I like Neutrogena) on your skin and then layer a heavier moisturizer on top of this. You can do something similar with your face—I spray with Evian facial mist and then a heavy-duty moisturizer (like Genie Dream Cream). It takes about three extra minutes in the morning, but I promise no more itchy dry skin. I just came back from a trip that included a day in Amsterdam (at 15 degrees!) and my skin would have gone berserk if I hadn’t “layered” my moisture.
- Drink more WATER!I know you’ve heard this one before but it comes into play, particularly in the cooler months. Keep your body hydrated and it will show up in your skin as well. If you want to be an A+ hydration student, drink half your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 150 lbs then drink 75 ounces of water a day. Also try a smoothie in the morning that contains protein, fat (healthy of course), and fiber! Your body will love it and you will see a beautiful difference in your skin!
- Add more Omega 3 fatty acids to your diet.Omega 3s in particular allow your skin to retain moisture. This can mean eating more salmon/anchovies, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, or taking a supplement. According to UK Facialist Sarah Chapman, “Most dehydrated skins have a compromised barrier function and lack omega oils. Without these lipids, your skin cannot hold onto moisture, no matter how much water you drink.” This is one I love: Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Essential Fatty Acid Blend (udoschoice.com)
- Use a humidifier: I recently started sleeping with a cool mist humidifier and I’m telling you — what a DIFFERENCE it has made in my skin and my sinuses. No more dry flakey skin; no more dried-out sinuses; and no more waking up thirsty when the heater is running. It’s really amazing. The one I use is the Air Innovations Digital Humidifier. (It’s worth every penny!) The best part about this model is it has a permanent ceramic filter that keeps bacteria from growing in it so no more constantly cleaning gunk out the humidifier.
Here are some more tips on how to have a Flawless Fall! https://www.geniebeauty.com/cold-wet-snow-dry-itchy-skin/
All my best,
Share on Social